[Python-Dev] Python 1.6 status

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:59:21 +0100

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Guido van Rossum <guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US> wrote:
> > - suggestions for new issues that maybe ought to be settled in 1.6
>
> three things: imputil, imputil, imputil

But please don't add the current version as default importer...
its strategy is way too slow for real life apps (yes, I've tested
this: imports typically take twice as long as with the builtin
importer).

I'd opt for an import manager which provides a useful API for
import hooks to register themselves with. What we really need
is not yet another complete reimplementation of what the
builtin importer does, but rather a more detailed exposure of
the various import aspects: finding modules and loading modules.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                    43 days left