Weak refs (was [Python-Dev] just say no...)

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:05:21 -0500

[Fred L. Drake, Jr., pines for some flavor of weak refs; MAL reminds us
 of his work; & back to Fred]

>   Yes, but still not in the core.  So we have two general examples
> (vrefs and mxProxy) and there's WeakDict (or something like that).  I
> think there really needs to be a core facility for this.

This kind of thing certainly belongs in the core (for efficiency and smooth
integration) -- if it belongs in the language at all.  This was discussed at
length here some months ago; that's what prompted MAL to "do something"
about it.  Guido hasn't shown visible interest, and nobody has been willing
to fight him to the death over it.  So it languishes.  Buy him lunch
tomorrow and get him excited <wink>.