[Python-Dev] Unicode proposal: %-formatting ?

Andy Robinson andy@robanal.demon.co.uk
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 23:58:23 -0800 (PST)

--- Tim Peters <tim_one@email.msn.com> wrote:
> I'm more baffled about what "abc" should do.  I
> didn't understand the t#/s#
> etc arguments, and how those do or don't relate to
> what str() does.  On the
> face of it, the idea that a gazillion and one
> distinct encodings all get
> lumped into "a string object" without remembering
> their nature makes about
> as much sense as if Python were to treat all
> instances of all user-defined
> classes as being of a single InstanceType type
> <wink> -- except in the
> latter case you at least get a __class__ attribute
> to find your way home
> again.

Well said.  When the core stuff is done, I'm going to
implement a set of "TypedString" helper routines which
will remember what they are encoded in and won't let
you abuse them by concatenating or otherwise mixing
different encodings.  If you are consciously working
with multi-encoding data, this higher level of
abstraction is really useful.  But I reckon that can
be done in pure Python (just overload '%;, '+' etc.
with some encoding checks).

- Andy

=====
Andy Robinson