[Python-Dev] Some thoughts on the codecs...

Andy Robinson andy@robanal.demon.co.uk
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 00:18:22 GMT

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999 08:54:15 +1100, you wrote:

>This is leading me to conclude that our "codec registry" should be the
>file system, and Python modules.
>
>Would it be possible to define a "standard package" called
>"encodings", and when we need an encoding, we simply attempt to load a
>module from that package?  The key benefits I see are:
[snip]
>Is this worthy of consideration?

Exactly what I am aiming for.  The real icing on the cake would be a
small state machine or some helper functions in C which made it
possible to write fast codecs in pure Python, but that can come a bit
later when we have examples up and running.

- Andy