[Python-Dev] Codecs and StreamCodecs

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 12:25:02 -0500 (EST)

Guido van Rossum writes:
 > Also, I don't want to ignore the alternative interface that was
 > suggested by /F.  It uses feed() similar to htmllib c.s.  This has
 > some advantages (although we might want to define some compatibility
 > so it can also feed directly into a file).

  I think one or the other can be used, and then a wrapper that
converts to the other interface.  Perhaps the encoders should provide
feed(), and a file-like wrapper can convert write() to feed().  It
could also be done the other way; I'm not sure if it matters which is
"normal."  (Or perhaps feed() was badly named and should be write()?
The general intent was a little different, I think, but an output file
is very much a stream consumer.)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>