[Python-Dev] shared data (was: Some thoughts on the codecs...)

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:56:19 -0500

Barry A. Warsaw writes:

> One approach might be to support loading modules out of jar files
> (or whatever) using Greg imputils.  We could put the bootstrap
> .pyc files in this jar and teach Python to import from it first.
> Python installations could even craft their own modules.jar file
> to include whatever modules they are willing to "hard code".
> This, with -S might make Python start up much faster, at the
> small cost of some flexibility (which could be regained with a
> c.l. switch or other mechanism to bypass modules.jar).

Couple hundred Windows users have been doing this for
months (http://starship.python.net/crew/gmcm/install.html).
The .pyz files are cross-platform, although the "embedding"
app would have to be redone for *nix, (and all the embedding
really does is keep Python from hunting all over your disk).
Yeah, it's faster. And I can put Python+Tcl/Tk+IDLE on a
diskette with a little room left over.

but-since-its-WIndows-it-must-be-tainted-ly y'rs

- Gordon