[Python-Dev] shared data (was: Some thoughts on the codecs...)

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us (Barry A. Warsaw)
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:14:55 -0500 (EST)

    AMK> I don't see how this is fixable, unless we strip down
    AMK> site.py, which drags in os, which drags in os.path and stat
    AMK> and UserDict.

One approach might be to support loading modules out of jar files (or
whatever) using Greg imputils.  We could put the bootstrap .pyc files
in this jar and teach Python to import from it first.  Python
installations could even craft their own modules.jar file to include
whatever modules they are willing to "hard code".  This, with -S might
make Python start up much faster, at the small cost of some
flexibility (which could be regained with a c.l. switch or other
mechanism to bypass modules.jar).

-Barry