[Python-Dev] just say no...

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 09:50:55 -0500 (EST)

Tim Peters writes:
 > Yet another use for a weak reference <0.5 wink>.

  Those just keep popping up!  I seem to recall Diane Hackborne
actually implemented these under the name "vref" long ago; perhaps
that's worth revisiting after all?  (Not the implementation so much as
the idea.)  I think to make it general would cost one PyObject* in
each object's structure, and some code in some constructors (maybe),
and all destructors, but not much.
  Is this worth pursuing, or is it locked out of the core because of
the added space for the PyObject*?  (Note that the concept isn't
necessarily useful for all object types -- numbers in particular --
but it only makes sense to bother if it works for everything, even if
it's not very useful in some cases.)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>