[Python-Dev] just say no...

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 17:40:34 +0100

Recently, Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> said:
> This was done last year!! We have "s#" meaning "give me some bytes." We
> have "t#" meaning "give me some 8-bit characters." The Python distribution
> has been completely updated to use the appropriate format in each call.

Oops...

I remember the discussion but I wasn't aware that somone had actually
_implemented_ this:-). Part of my misunderstanding was also caused by
the fact that I inspected what I thought would be the prime candidate
for t#: file.write() to a non-binary file, and it doesn't use the new
format.

I also noted a few inconsistencies at first glance, by the way: most
modules seem to use s# for things like filenames and other
data-that-is-readable-but-shouldn't-be-messed-with, but binascii is an
exception and it uses t# for uuencoded strings...