[Python-Dev] just say no...

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 16:00:45 +0100

Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake@acm.org> wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg writes:
>  > Such a buffer is needed to implement "s" and "s#" argument
>  > parsing. It's a simple requirement to support those two
>  > parsing markers -- there's not much to argue about, really...
>  > unless, of course, you want to give up Unicode object support
>  > for all APIs using these parsers.
>
>   Perhaps I missed the agreement that these should always receive
> UTF-8 from Unicode strings.

from unicode import *

def getname():
    # hidden in some database engine, or so...
    return unicode("Linköping", "iso-8859-1")

name = getname()

# emulate automatic conversion to utf-8
name = str(name)

# print it in uppercase, in the usual way
import string
print string.upper(name)

## LINKöPING

I don't know, but I think that I think that it
perhaps should raise an exception instead...

</F>