[Python-Dev] the Benevolent Dictator (was: Internationalization Toolkit)

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 02:20:16 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> <IMO>
> Since this is the first time a Python Consortium member is
> pushing development, I think we can learn a lot here. For one,
> it should be clear that money doesn't buy everything, OTOH,
> we cannot put the whole thing at risk just because
> of some minor disagreement that cannot be solved between the
> parties. The standard solution for the latter should be a
> customized Python interpreter.
> </IMO>

hehe... funny you mention this. Go read the Consortium docs. Last time
that I read them, there are no "parties" to reach consensus. *Every*
technical decision regarding the Python language falls to the Technical
Director (Guido, of course). I looked. I found nothing that can override
the T.D.'s decisions and no way to force a particular decision.

Guido is still the Benevolent Dictator :-)

Cheers,
-g

p.s. yes, there is always the caveat that "sure, Guido has final say" but
"Al can fire him at will for being too stubborn" :-) ... but hey, Guido's
title does have the word Benevolent in it, so things are cool...

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/