[Python-Dev] Internationalization Toolkit

Andy Robinson andy@robanal.demon.co.uk
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 08:08:15 -0800 (PST)

> See my other post on the subject...
>
> Note that if we make UTF-8 the standard encoding,
> nearly all
> special Latin-1 characters will produce UTF-8 errors
> on input
> and unreadable garbage on output. That will probably
> be unacceptable
> in Europe. To remedy this, one would *always* have
> to use
> u.encode('latin-1') to get readable output for
> Latin-1 strings
> repesented in Unicode.

You beat me to it - a colleague and I were just
discussing this verbally.  Specifically we Brits will
get annoyed as soon as we read in a text file with
pound (sterling) signs.

We concluded that the only reasonable default (if you
have one at all) is pure ASCII.  At least that way I
will get a clear and intelligible warning when I load
in such a file, and will remember to specify
ISO-Latin-1.

- Andy

=====
Andy Robinson