[Python-Dev] Internationalization Toolkit

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 14:31:47 +0100

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> wrote:
> > Have you ever noticed how Python modules, packages, tools, etc, never
> > define an import hook?
>
> hey, didn't MAL use one in one of his mx kits? ;-)

Not yet, but I will unless my last patch ("walk me up, Scotty" - import)
goes into the core interpreter.

> > I say axe it and say "UTF-8" is the fixed, default encoding. If you want
> > something else, then do that explicitly.
>
> exactly.
>
> modes are evil.  python is not perl.  etc.

But a requirement by the customer... they want to be able to set the locale
on a per thread basis. Not exactly my preference (I think all locale
settings should be passed as parameters, not via globals).

> > Are we digging a hole for ourselves? Maybe. But there are two other big
> > platforms that have the same hole to dig out of *IF* it ever comes to
> > that. I posit that it won't be necessary; that the people needing UCS-4
> > can do so entirely in Python.
>
> last time I checked, there were no characters (even in the
> ISO standard) outside the 16-bit range.  has that changed?

No, but people are already thinking about it and there is
a defined range in the >16-bit area for private encodings
(F0000..FFFFD and 100000..10FFFD).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                    51 days left