[Python-Dev] Internationalization Toolkit

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us (Barry A. Warsaw)
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 13:15:04 -0500 (EST)

    AMK> No, no; I'm actually happier with Perl-style, because it's
    AMK> far better documented and familiar to people. Worse *is*
    AMK> better, after all.

Plus, you can't change re's semantics and I think it makes sense if
the Unicode engine is as close semantically as possible to the
existing engine.

We need to be careful not to worsen performance for 8bit strings.  I
think we're already on the edge of acceptability w.r.t. P*** and
hopefully we can /improve/ performance here.

MAL's proposal seems quite reasonable.  It would be excellent to see
these things done for Python 1.6.  There's still some discussion on
supporting internationalization of applications, e.g. using gettext
but I think those are smaller in scope.

-Barry