[Python-Dev] wish list

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Thu, 04 Nov 1999 15:58:53 -0500

I got the wish list below.  Anyone care to comment on how close we are
on fulfilling some or all of this?

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Thu, 04 Nov 1999 20:26:54 +0700
From:    "Claudio Ramón" <rmn70@hotmail.com>
To:      guido@python.org

Hello,
  I'm a python user (excuse my english, I'm spanish and...). I think it is a
very complete language and I use it in solve statistics, phisics,
mathematics, chemistry and biology problemns. I'm not an
experienced programmer, only a scientific with problems to solve.
The motive of this letter is explain to you a needs that I have in
the python use and I think in the next versions...
* GNU CC for Win32 compatibility (compilation of python interpreter and
"Freeze" utility). I think MingWin32 (Mummint Khan) is a good alternative
eviting the cygwin dll user.
* Add low level programming capabilities for system access and speed of code
fragments eviting the C-C++ or Java code use. Python, I think, must be a
complete programming language in the "programming for every body" philosofy.
* Incorporate WxWindows (wxpython) and/or Gtk+ (now exist a win32 port) GUI
in the standard distribution. For example, Wxpython permit an html browser.
It is very importan for document presentations. And Wxwindows and Gtk+ are
faster than tk.
* Incorporate a database system in the standard library distribution. To be
possible with relational and documental capabilites and with import facility
of DBASE, Paradox, MSAccess files.
* Incorporate a XML/HTML/Math-ML editor/browser with graphics capability (to
be possible with XML how internal file format). And to be possible with
Microsoft Word import export facility. For example, AbiWord project can be
an alternative but if lacks programming language. If we can make python the
programming language for AbiWord project...

Thanks.
Ramón Molina.
rmn70@hotmail.com