[Python-Dev] Python for Small Systems patch

Christian Tismer tismer at appliedbiometrics.com
Wed May 5 15:31:05 CEST 1999

Ivan Porres Paltor wrote:

> Christian Tismer wrote:
> > Ivan,
> > small Python is a very interesting thing,
> > thanks for the preview.
> >
> > But, aren't 12600 lines of diff a little too much
> > to call it "not difficult to figure out"? :-)
>
> Raul Parra (rpb), the author of the patch, got the "source scissors"
> (#ifndef WITHOUT... #endif) and cut the interpreter until it fitted in a
> embedded system with some RAM, no keyboard, no screen and no OS. An
> example application can be a printer where the print jobs are python
> bytecompiled scripts (instead of postscript).
>
> We plan to write some documentation about the patch. Meanwhile, here are
> some of the changes:

Many thanks, this is really interesting

> These changes render most of the standard modules unusable.
> There are no fundamental changes on the interpter, just cut and cut....

I see. A last thing which I'm curious about is the executable
size. If this can be compared to a Windows dll at all. Did you
compile without the changes for your target as well?
How is the ratio? The python15.dll file contains everything
of core Python and is about 560 KB large.
If your engine goes down to, say below 200 KB, this could
be a great thing for embedding Python into other apps.

ciao & thanks - chris

Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 101   :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net
10553 Berlin                 :     PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net