[Python-Dev] Why Foo is better than Baz

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon May 3 19:15:00 CEST 1999

talking about regexps, here's another thing that
would be quite nice to have in 1.6 (available from
the Python level, that is).  or is it already in there
somewhere?

</F>

http://www.dejanews.com/[ST_rn=qs]/getdoc.xp?AN=464362873

Tcl 8.1b3 Request:  Generated by Scriptics' bug entry form at

Submitted by:  Frederic BONNET
OperatingSystem:  Windows 98
CustomShell:  Applied patch to the regexp engine (the exec part)
Synopsis:  regexp improvements

DesiredBehavior:
    As previously requested by Don Libes:

    > I see no way for Tcl_RegExpExec to indicate "could match" meaning
    > "could match if more characters arrive that were suitable for a
    > match".  This is required for a class of applications involving
    > matching on a stream required by Expect's interact command.  Henry
    > assured me that this facility would be in the engine (I'm not the only
    > one that needs it).  Note that it is not sufficient to add one more
    > return value to Tcl_RegExpExec (i.e., 2) because one needs to know
    > both if something matches now and can match later.  I recommend
    > another argument (canMatch *int) be added to Tcl_RegExpExec.

/patch info follows/