[Python-Dev] Is Python Free Software, free software, Open Source, open source, etc?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Jun 30 14:22:09 CEST 1999

> I did, months ago, and haven't heard back yet.  My current policy is
> to drop the initial caps and say "open source" -- most people don't
> know the difference anyway.

and "Open Source" cannot be trademarked anyway...

> I don't have the time to read slashdot -- can anyone summarize what
> ESR and RMS were flaming about?

the usual; RMS wrote in saying that 1) he's not part of the
open source movement, 2) open source folks don't under-
stand the real meaning of the word freedom, and 3) he's
not a communist.  ESR response is here:

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/shut-up-and-show-them.html

    ... OSI's tactics work. That's the easy part of the lesson.
    The hard part is that the FSF's tactics don't work, and
    never did. ... So the next time RMS, or anybody else,
    urges you to "talk about freedom", I urge you to reply
    "Shut up and show them the code."

imo, the best thing is of course to ignore them both, and
continue to ship great stuff under a truly open license...

</F>