[Python-Dev] Paul Prescod: add Expat to 1.6

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Mon Jun 28 22:08:42 CEST 1999

Guido van Rossum writes:
>any thoughts to spare at the moment.  Perhaps someone could present
>the case with some more background info?  (It does sounds intriguing,

Paul is probably suggesting this so that Python comes with a fast,
standardized XML parser out of the box.  On the other hand, where do
you draw the line?  Paul suggests including PyExpat and easySAX (a
small SAX implementation), but why not full SAX, and why not DOM?

      My personal leaning is that we can get more bang for the buck by
working on the Distutils effort, so that installing a package like
PyExpat becomes much easier, rather than piling more things into the
core distribution.

The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to
sleep under the bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.
    -- Anatole France