[Python-Dev] join()

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Fri Jun 11 21:08:11 CEST 1999

    Guido> Given the heat in this discussion, I'm not sure if I
    Guido> endorse *any* of the proposals so far any more...

Oh I dunno.  David and I aren't throwing rocks at each other yet :)

    Guido> How would Java do this?  A static function in the String
    Guido> class, probably.  The Python equivalent is...  A function
    Guido> in the string module.  So maybe string.join() it remains.

The only reason for making it a builtin would be to avoid pulling in
all of string just to get join.  But I guess we need to get some more
experience using the methods before we know whether this is a real
problem or not.

as-good-as-a-from-string-import-join-and-easier-to-implement-ly y'rs,
-Barry