[Python-Dev] String methods... finally

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Fri Jun 11 20:34:08 CEST 1999

    DA> On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

    >> IMO, builtin join ought to str()ify all the elements in the
    >> sequence, concatenating the results.  That seems an intuitive
    >> interpretation of 'join'ing a sequence.  Here's my Python
    >> prototype:

    DA> I don't get it -- why?

    DA> I'd expect join(((1,2,3), (4,5,6))) to yield (1,2,3,4,5,6),
    DA> not anything involving strings.

Oh, just because I think it might useful, and would provide something
that isn't easily provided with other constructs.

Without those semantics join(((1,2,3), (4,5,6))) isn't much different
than (1,2,3) + (4,5,6), or reduce(operator.add, ((1,2,3), (4,5,6))) as
you point out.

Since those latter two are easy enough to come up with, but str()ing
the elements would require painful lambdas, I figured make the new
built in do something new.

-Barry