[Python-Dev] Splitting up the PVM

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Thu Jun 10 07:25:11 CEST 1999

[Christian Tismer, replying to Guido's enthusiasm <wink>]
> Thanks for looking into it, thanks for saying it's tricky.
> Since I failed to supply proper documentation yet, this
> impression must come up.
>
> But it is really not true. The code is not tricky
> but just straightforward and consequent, after one has understood
> what it means to work without a stack, under the precondition
> to avoid too much changes. I didn't want to rewrite
> the world, and I just added the tiny missing bits.
>
> I will write up my documentation now, and you will
> understand what the difficulties were. These will not
> vanish, "stackless" is a brainteaser. My problem was not how
> to change the code, but finally it was how to change
> my brain. Now everything is just obvious.

FWIW, I believe you!  There's something *inherently* tricky about
maintaining the effect of a stack without using the stack C supplies
implicitly, and from all you've said and what I've learned of your code, it
really isn't the code that's tricky here.  You're making formerly-hidden
connections explicit, which means more stuff is visible, but also means more
power and flexibility *because* "more stuff is visible".

Agree too that this clearly <wink> moves in the direction of making the VM
pluggable.

> I *will* continue, regardless what anybody says.

Ah, if that's how this works, then STOP!  Immediately!  Don't you dare waste
more of our time with this crap <wink>.

want-some-money?-ly y'rs  - tim