[Python-Dev] licensing

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Jun 8 10:08:08 CEST 1999

> I seem to have read somewhere that the two Medusa files are under a
> separate license. Although, reading the files now, it seems they are
> not.

the medusa server has restrictive license, but the asyncore
and asynchat modules use the standard Python license, with
Sam Rushing as the copyright owner.  just use the source...

> The issue that I'm really raising is that Python should ship with a
> single license that covers everything. Otherwise, it will become very
> complicated for somebody to figure out which pieces fall under what
> restrictions.
>
> Is there anything in the distribution that is different than the normal
> license?
>
> For example, can I take the async modules and build a commercial product
> on them?

surely hope so -- we're using them in everything we do.

and my upcoming book is 60% about doing weird things with
tkinter, and 40% about doing weird things with asynclib...

</F>