[Python-Dev] ActiveState & fork & Perl

Greg Stein gstein at lyra.org
Tue Jun 8 03:05:15 CEST 1999

David Ascher wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Mark Hammond wrote:
>
> > When I first heard this, two things sprung to mind:
> > a) Why shouldnt Python push for a similar deal?

As David points out, I believe this is simply because ActiveState is
unique in their business type, products, and model. We don't have
anything like that in the Python world (although Pythonware could
theoretically go in a similar direction).

> I've been wondering if a broker service like sourceXchange for Python
> could work -- whether there are enough people who want something done to
> Python and are willing to pay for an Open Soure project (and whether there
> are enough "worker bees", although I suspect there are). I can think of
> several items on various TODO lists which could probably be tackled this
> way.  (doing things *within* sourceXchange is clearly a possibility in the
> long term -- in the short term they seem focused on Linux, but time will
> tell).

sourceXchange should work fine. I don't see it being Linux-only by any
means. Heck, the server is a FreeBSD box, and Brian Behlendorf comes
from the Apache world (and is a FreeBSD guy mostly).

> Guido, you're probably the point-man for such 'angels' -- do you get those
> kinds of requests periodically?  How about you, Mark?
>
> One thing that ActiveState has going for it which doesn't exist in the
> Python world is a corporate entity devoted to software development and
> distribution.  PPSI is a support company, or at least markets itself that
> way.

Yup. That's all we are. We are specifically avoiding any attempts to be
a product company. ActiveState is all about products and support-type
products.

I met with Dick Hardt (ActiveState founder/president) just a couple
weeks ago. Great guy. We spoke about ActiveState, what they're doing,
and what they'd like to do. They might be looking for good Python
people, too...

Cheers,
-g

--