[Python-Dev] End of the line

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:42:14 -0400

[Tim]
> On reading, libc usually takes care of what's needed, and what
> remains is to check for stray '\r' characters that stdio glossed over.

[Jack Jansen]
> This'll work for Unix and PC conventions, but not for the Mac.
> Mac end of line is \r, so reading a line from a mac file on unix will
> give you the whole file.

I don't see how.  Did you look at the code I posted?  It treats '\r' the
same as '\n', except that when it sees an '\r' it eats a following '\n' (if
any) too, and replaces the '\r' with '\n' regardless.

Maybe you're missing that Python reads lines one character at a time?  So
e.g. the behavior of the platform libc fgets is irrelevant.