[Python-Dev] Python bugs database started

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us (Barry A. Warsaw)
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 10:41:25 -0400 (EDT)

    TP> The first time I submitted a bug, I backed up to the entry
    TP> page and hit Refresh to get the category counts updated (never
    TP> saw Jitterbug before, so must play!).  IE5 whined about
    TP> something-or-other being out of date, and would I like to
    TP> "repost the data"?  I said sure.

This makes perfect sense, and explains exactly what's going on.  Let's
call it "poor design"[1] instead of "user error".  A quick scan last
night of the Jitterbug site shows no signs of fixes or workarounds.
What would Jitterbug have to do to avoid these kinds of problems?
Maybe keep a checksum of the current submission and check it against
the next one to make sure it's not a re-submit.  Maybe a big warning
sign reading "Do not repost this form!"  Hmm.  I think I'll complain
on the Jitterbug mailing list.

-Barry

[1] In the midst of re-reading D. Norman's "The Design of Everyday
Things", otherwise I would have said you guys were just incompetent
Webweenies :)