[Python-Dev] Date and timetypes (was: Fixed-decimal types)

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 12:11:29 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > > OK.  Let me rephrase it.  Say we form a consensus on 'the right
> > > way'.  Are you amenable to some solution which goes back before
> > > 1970 and after 2038 going into the standard library?
>
> No problem.
>
> > > And does your answer change if it involves some
> > > compiled code as well?
>
> I'd rather not.

As far as mxDateTime goes, I'd rather not see it in the core
distribution. Including the mx stuff in a separate PythonPowerTools
distribution would be cool though. For a start in this direction
see e.g.:

     http://startship.skyport.net/~lemburg/PPowerTools-0.2.zip

Note that I'll wrap all my mx extensions into a new mx package
which will come in several flavours next year. There will no
longer be separate packages due to the various naming
collisions and to enable intra-mx-package dependencies.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                     7 days left