[Python-Dev] str(1L) -> '1' ?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 12:03:37 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> [Jim F]
> > In November there was an interesting discussion on comp.lang.python
> > about the meaning of __str__ and __repr__.  One tidbit that came out
> > of this discussion was that __str__ for longs should drop the trailing
> > 'L'. Was there a decision on this? I'd really like this to happen.
>
> Yes, I'd like it to happen.  I'd also like repr() of a float to return
> the full precision (using the "%.17g" sprintf format).

While we're at it: how about adding a PyLong_AsString() API
to the C interface ? I currently use PyObject_Str() in mxODBC
and then slice off the 'L' -- not very elegant. A PyLong_AsString()
API would much better suit the task.

Merry Christmas,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                     7 days left