[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Lib getopt.py,1.7,1.8

Thu, 23 Dec 1999 11:05:52 -0600 (CST)

    Guido> (The next step would be to outlaw raise with a string argument; I
    Guido> think I can't make that for 1.6.  But it would be a good idea to
    Guido> scan the standard library for string exceptions and convert all
    Guido> of them.)

Agreed.  I know Zope uses (at least, my Zope-using code uses) stuff like

    raise 'Redirect', url

to map names onto HTTP response codes.  Makes it easier on people to
remember names instead of numeric codes.  I suspect it will take the Zopers
awhile to convert to using class-based exceptions if they haven't already.
(For all I know I may be using a deprecated feature.)

Skip