[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Lib getopt.py,1.7,1.8

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 19:09:47 +0100 (CET)

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> [Fred Drake]
> >   I don't know if requiring class-based exceptions will make the
> > runtime any simpler, but that seems the only reason to do it.
>
> Do what?  *Require* class exceptions?  You're probably right, and I
> think the gain is minimal.

Yes. Besides, I still think that string-based exceptions are just
convenient for quick & dirty, throw-away test scripts.

> Let me repeat my plans for 1.6.
>
> - Remove -X; the standard exceptions are always class-based.
>
> - Change all standard library and other example code to use
> class-based exceptions with a standard exception as base class, to set
> an example.
>
> - Still allow string exceptions in user code.
>
> - Still allow class exceptions that don't use a standard exception
> base class in user code.

Sounds okay.

---

PS: I'm particularly happy today :-) because I've finally published
 the new version of our Web site http://www.inrialpes.fr. Two things
 I'd like to mention:
 (1) it shouldn't have been possible without quick Python scripts ;)
 (2) I'll find the time to reinvoke some of the topics discussed here
     instead of being mute as a fish.

That said, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you!

--
       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr