[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Lib getopt.py,1.7,1.8

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 18:49:09 -0500

> From: "Barry A. Warsaw" <bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us>

>     Guido> The raise could easily enforce this, but it would break
>     Guido> lots of existing code.
>
> Maybe not (I'm not sure).  All the standard exceptions inherit from
> Exception, and of course there'd be nothing to enforce for existing
> user-defined string based exceptions.  How pervasive are user-defined
> class based exceptions that don't inherit from Exception?  (I don't
> know, and I haven't grepped, but I think we've been making that
> recommendation from day 1 of class-based standard exceptions, and I
> try to follow this recommendation in my own code).

Yes, but class-based user exceptions existed many Python versions
before class-based standard exceptions!

Two examples in the standard library: ConfigParser.py and xdrlib.py.

> All Hail, Python 2.0, our Savior and Redeemer! :)

Or, the perfect excuse for procrastination :)

(But yes, 2.0 will enforce this.)