[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Lib getopt.py,1.7,1.8

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 18:23:29 -0500

[Barry]
>     Guido> Anybody got a reason why -X should stay?
>
> Kill it.

You already said that.

Anybody else?

>     Guido> (The next step would be to outlaw raise with a string
>     Guido> argument; I think I can't make that for 1.6.  But it would
>     Guido> be a good idea to scan the standard library for string
>     Guido> exceptions and convert all of them.)
>
> Or require that exception classes be derived from exceptions.Exception
> :)

That's hard to require.  But it could easily be a requirement checked
by one of the hypothetical typecheckers that are being discussed in
the types-sig.