[Python-Dev] zipfile.py

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 22:16:39 +0100

"James C. Ahlstrom" wrote:

> "M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:
>
> > I guess it would be ok to waste space. You could provide
> > a .cleanup() or .rewrite() method that takes care of
> > reorganizing the file to fill up the gaps.
>
> OK, adding a duplicate name replaces the old file.

Cool.

> > Well the module seems to work just fine with compression
> > on, so disallowing it or issuing a warning would reduce its value,
> > IMHO.
>
> Yes compression works, but 90% of Python installations don't have
> zlib, so it is an ERROR to create archives with compression when
> these archives are distributed to other sites.

Sure, for the sake of creating Python code archives, but
your module is much more versatile: e.g. I could automatically
create ZIP archives of log files or sets of other files and
then have Python email them to someone who uses these archives
through standard tools such as WinZip -- the target doesn't always
have to be a Python process :-)

> > How about making compression a boolean value and then
> > converting any true value to 8 ?
>
> It would close the door to future or other compression methods.
> Currently the method must be 0 or 8 or a traceback will result.

Ok.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                    11 days left