[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Modules posixmodule.c,2.120,2.121

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 10:10:14 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> [Note that Greg's message went to python-checkins since he responded
> to a checkin message, but I suspect he meant to change the header to
> point to python-dev.  ;)  If not, too bad!]

I didn't really care too much where it went. I would actually suggest that
the Reply-To: on the checkin list is set to python-dev if that is where
replies are Supposed To Go.
[ I do this with mod_dav checkins; replies to dav-checkins mail goes to
  dav-dev. ]

> Greg Stein writes:
>  > But this means that your tables no long reside in "const" space. Yet More
>  > Per-Process Memory...
>  >
>  > It would be nice to have those tables marked as "const".
>
>   Perhaps; as Guido points out, there haven't been a lot of complaints
> about this issue.
>   I will note that only the tables aren't constant; the strings that
> are pointed to are still constant.  I'm inclined to let the compiler/
> linker care about this, and not change the code without a really clear
> need to do so.
>   Here are the sizes of those tables and the strings they point to
> (including terminating null bytes for the strings):
>
> pathconf_names:  14 entries, 112 bytes,  176 string bytes
> confstr_names:   25 entries, 200 bytes,  576 string bytes
> sysconf_names:  108 entries, 864 bytes, 1774 string bytes
>
>   Figures are for Solaris7.

Ah. I just replied to that. Guess that one went to python-checkins :-)

True, this is a small amount of memory. But they start to add up.
non-const globals also pain me when I start to work on free-threading
stuff (each must be examined to see if synchronization is needed), so
reducing the number there is important. Regarding the memory itself: as I
mentioned in the other note, I just want to ensure that Python's working
set remains low (reasons given in that email).

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/