[Python-Dev] zipfile.py

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@cnri.reston.va.us
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 14:58:16 -0500 (EST)

  GS> On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, James C. Ahlstrom wrote:
  >> Greg Stein wrote: >
  >>
  >> > Can you post zipfile.py so that people can starting reviewing
  >> that?
  >>
  >> Yes, it will be available by next Monday.  I just want to get it
  >> really working and pretty, and with documentation.

  GS> My point was that people could possibly use it *before*
  GS> then. Not everybody needs it to be pretty, needs doc, or needs
  GS> it fully working.  Maybe people would like to provide feedback
  GS> on the API. Maybe they'd like to start their own modules that
  GS> use your library.

  GS> This goes back to my years-old statement: release it now rather
  GS> than later -- people can always use it now, and there might not
  GS> be a later.

Ok.  I think we need some kind of zip file support in the core so that
it can be used as a standard distribution format.  I'd be happy if
Jim's zipfile module ended up being it.  We've got some zip code that
we developed at CNRI; it's a bit of a mess, but it might be helpful to
see what we did.  Our code is at ftp://www.python.org/pub/tmp/zip.zip

Jeremy