[Python-Dev] Zip format

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 05:10:00 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> wrote:
> > There are all kinds of things that we can do here. Consider mmap'ing the
> > archive into a shared memory segment, used by all the Python processes on
> > the system... woo! :-)
>
> it doesn't really look like this, but I hope we're defining
> interfaces here, and not just "one true solution".  I'd be

Oh, I was just having fun there :-). I don't see "one true solution" at
all. Just some standards.

> very annoyed if it turned out that we couldn't use works'
> archives with the new standard importer...

get_code() and its processing is not going anywhere. Some stuff will
change under the covers, and we'll be using sys.path (typically) rather
than chaining (although chaining will still exist!).

I would think that your Importer subclass would be directly usable, but
the installation could/would be a bit different. Heck, worst case, nothing
is going to invalidate your archive format -- feel free to berate me if I
ever break that!

Cheers,
-g

--