[Python-Dev] Enabling more modules by default

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 19:35:58 -0500 (EST)

Andy Robinson writes:
>...  So if you want to make PDFs, having zlib
>around is very useful indeed...

This raises a good point, though I still dislike the idea of including
the zlib library.  It would be nice if Setup.in would be autogenerated
to compile all the modules it can -- bsddb if it finds libdb, zlib if
it finds libz.a.  I vaguely recall once working on a Python script that
would generate a customized Setup.in file, though I can't find it at
the moment.  Given that someone has already suggested automatically
enabling threads on those platforms that support it, why not go all
the way?

(But a Python script that generates a Setup.in isn't going to work,
unless we compile a minipython first and then create a more complete
Setup file.)

The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to
correlate all its contents.
    -- H.P. Lovecraft