[Python-Dev] Zip format (was: Questions about distutils strategy )

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 17:37:30 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > How about only adding those parts which would be needed to
> > at least deflate the ZIP archive contents ?
>
> Ditto -- still lots of portability issues I bet.

Hmm, not sure: zlib is pretty portable. Its the interface
changes that can break code, not so much the zlib portability.

> > If the ZIP archive format becomes the standard for Python, we'd
> > have to ensure that all Python users can read them. Well, at
> > least that's what I would expect from a standard format :-)
>
> There's a simple solution: don't use compression.  With current disk
> prices it's really not worth it.  Let the installer do the
> decompression (installers travel across networks where compression
> *is* worth it).

That's a possibility, right. It would still let us use the many
ZIP tools while not adding complexity to the core.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                    21 days left