[Python-Dev] Zip format (was: Questions about distutils strategy )

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 15:52:26 +0100

> Jack Jansen asks:
>
> > Is it possible nowadays to have two files with the same name but
> > different paths (i.e. foo/bar.py and foo/spam/bar.py) in the same
> > archive?
>
> Depends on how you do it.

Apparently I mis-phrased my question, I'll try again.

When people suggested to use zip format as the standard Python archive format
I was a bit worried, becuase I've had it happen to me various times that I was
unable to create a ZIP archive with two files with the same name but different
paths (i.e. create an archive of a directory that contains both a foo/bar.py
and a foo/spam/bar.py).

So, my question was: has this happened to me because the winzip I used was
braindead, or is there possibly a problem with the ZIP file format that
disallows two files with the same name in one archive? Most zip programs I've
seen also seem to present filenames as the primary metaphore, with full
pathnames somewhat "tacked on".

If the latter is the case I wonder whether zip is the right format to use...