[Python-Dev] forwarded message from Fred L. Drake

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 16:32:26 -0500 (EST)

Fred L. Drake, Jr. writes (in a CVS checkin):
>Added support for abort(), ctermid(), tmpfile(), tempnam(), tmpnam(),
>and TMP_MAX.

For those of you following along, the tmpfile(), tempnam(), tmpnam()
functions were ones I listed as probably not worth adding.  On the
other hand, David Beazley wrote:

>  I think that the POSIX module should strive to be as
>complete as possible--even if certain functions are closely related
>other functionality in the library (tmpfile for instance).  I suspect

... and that's a good point, too.  The POSIX functions may provide
adaptability that a Python analog doesn't; for example, you could read
/etc/passwd in pure Python, but that wouldn't handle NIS or shadow
passwords.  So I guess I'll vote for completeness over lack of
overlap; leave tmpfile() & friends in.

This supports reflection, which is the 90s way of writing self-modifying code.
    -- John Aycock at IPC7, during his parsing talk