[Python-Dev] Missing POSIX functions: the list

David Beazley beazley@cs.uchicago.edu
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 11:16:57 -0600 (CST)

Greg Ward writes:

> I think I already pointed this your way, but don't forget the man page
> for Perl's POSIX module: "perldoc POSIX".  I suspect POSIX functions
> that don't make sense in Perl also don't make sense in Python.
>
> I agree with all your assessments about what's worth adding and what's
> not, and that {close,read,open}dir() are questionable and probably not
> worth the bother.  Random thoughts:

I disagree.  I think that the POSIX module should strive to be as
complete as possible--even if certain functions are closely related
other functionality in the library (tmpfile for instance).  I suspect
that this sort of thing is probably the cause of the missing
functionality in the current library (as in, "why would anyone want to
do that?" when in fact there may be a perfectly good reason in certain
situations).

> > abort() -- used in Py_FatalError(), but not accessible to Python code
>
> Would this do the same as in C, ie. terminate the process and dump core?

Sure, why not?  This might be a useful thing to do every so
often---when trying to figure out what's wrong with a C extension
module for instance.

Cheers,

Dave