[Python-Dev] Re: [Distutils] Questions about distutils strategy

James C. Ahlstrom jim@interet.com
Thu, 09 Dec 1999 10:02:18 -0500

Tim Peters wrote:

> Jim seems mostly interested in Win32-only to me, and his concerns haven't
> been about the mechanics of distribution but about how-- regardless of
> tool --to create a bulletproof Python installation by hook or by crook.

Not exactly.  I am interested in how to create a bullet-proof
installation.
But I am equally interested in Unix (especially Linux) and dislike the
current dichotomy in the code base.

Lately I have been more active in distribution via archive files.
Part of the solution is an archive file format which is identical on
Unix and Windows, and which can hold the Python library and packages
as single files.  For my own efforts on this see:

    ftp://ftp.interet.com/pub/pylib.html

This is an archive file format similar to Gordon's format, although
Gordon's work goes well beyond just file formats.  I currently have
fifth generation code for this format, and am adding features as
suggested by Fredrik Lundt.  I hope it gets considered as a candidate
for a Python standard format.

> Distutils hasn't talked about that at all (that I've seen, anyway);

Gordon, Greg Stein and I have discussed file formats before.  I think
it was on distutils.  Anyway that was months ago.

JimA