[Python-Dev] Re: [Distutils] Questions about distutils strategy

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Wed, 08 Dec 1999 09:56:42 -0500

> It needed a name. I hate the word "Installer", but it expresses
> in one word the most common use of my stuff.
>
> I'll be releasing a beta for Linux real soon. Only some of the
> tricks are Windows only (such as self-extracting executables,
> which is only culturally appropriate on Windows, anyway).
>
> But more importantly it's not just for installing. The Python I
> use (interactively) on my wife's machine is 1 directory with
> about 6 files in it. On my Linux box I've been using the std lib
> in a .pyz for about a month now. Someone distributing a pure
> Python package could instead ship 3 files (imputil.py,
> archive.py and <package>.pyz) with the "install" consisting of
> adding one line to site.py in the user's perfectly normal Python
> installation.
>
> And yeah, I solved the "manifest" problem, too. Mine predates
> Distutils, so don't accuse me of duplicate effort, (I pointed
> them to it a couple times). It uses ConfigParser and a config
> file, so it allows finer control.
>
> While .pyz's are completely cross-platform, I have yet to work
> out endianness issues in the other archive I use (which should
> probably be zip format - it can hold anything). And at the
> "Installer" end, I have yet to work out how things should work
> on non-ELF/COFF platforms (where I can't append the archive
> to the executable). But there aren't any technical issues
> involved; just lack of time.
>
> So no, it's not just for Windows; and no, it's not just for
> creating standalones (though that's what almost everyone
> uses it for).

Gordon, I'm sorry, but from this description I still have no idea what
your stuff is (and I forgot the URL so I can't look it up).  For
example, if it's not (just) for installing, what *is* it for?

What is the ``"manifest" problem'' and how did you solve it?

Also, note that editing site.py is a no-no!  You can create/edit
sitecustomize.py, but you should leave site.py alone!