[Python-Dev] Import redesign [LONG]

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@cnri.reston.va.us
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 11:47:54 -0500 (EST)

  >> (Unrelated remark: I should really try to release the set of
  >> modules we've written here at CNRI to deal with zip files.
  >> Unfortunately zip files are hairy and so is our code.)

  FLD>   It doesn't help that that code just plain stinks.  I maintain
  FLD> that no one here understands the whole of it.

I'm all for improving the code and getting it out.  The real problem
is that interfaces have been glommed on for every new use of a Zip
file.  (You want to read one off a socket and extract files before
you've got the whole thing?  No problem! Add a new class.)  We need to
figure out the common patterns for using the archives and write a new
set of interfaces to support that.

Jeremy