[Python-Dev] Re: .DLL vs .PYD search order

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 13:53:03 +0100

Guido van Rossum <guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US> wrote:
> > Actually I'm so happy with the magic cookie scheme that I've
> > advocated at various times in the past that something similar also
> > be used for determining where builtin modules and frozen modules
> > appear in sys.path...
>
> I see the magic cookies as a poor man's (but more compatible!) version
> of a chain of importers as advocated by Greg Stein and other imputil
> fans.  I like the idea, except that I think that the chain should be
> manipulatable more easily than the current imputil implementation.

I know this has been asked before, but cannot recall
any of the arguments against it: how about replacing
Jack's magic cookies with importer objects?

(in other words, if a path item is a string, import as
usual.  otherwise, ask the importer for a code object
or maybe better, a module object).

</F>