[Python-Dev] Re: .DLL vs .PYD search order

David Ascher da@ski.org
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 13:41:31 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, James C. Ahlstrom wrote:

> > In my experience, the DLL search path (PATH for short) is problematic
> > because it requires either using the System control panel or modifying
> > autoexec.bat, both of which can have massive systemic effects completely
> > unrelated to Python if a mistake is made during the modification.
>
> I agree that altering PATH is problematic.  So is altering PYTHONPATH
> and for exactly the same reason.  That is why I think PYTHONPATH is
> a bad idea.

I see.  Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know the complete story of
the "Windows DLL search path".  BTW, I think a huge difference b/w
PYTHONPATH and PATH is the system-wide nature of PATH, vs. the
Python-restriced nature of PYTHONPATH.

--david