[Python-Dev] Portable "spawn" module for core?

Mon, 30 Aug 1999 14:11:50 -0500 (CDT)

    Greg> it recently occured to me that the 'spawn' module I wrote for the
    Greg> Distutils (and which Perry Stoll extended to handle NT), could fit
    Greg> nicely in the core library.

How's spawn.spawn semantically different from the Windows-dependent
os.spawn?  How are stdout/stdin/stderr connected to the child process - just
like fork+exec or something slightly higher level like os.popen?  If it's
semantically like os.spawn and a little bit higher level abstraction than
fork+exec, I'd vote for having the os module simply import it:

    from spawn import spawn

and thus make that function more widely available...

    Greg> The module as it's currently in the Distutils code is attached.

Not in the message I saw...

Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
skip@mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/~skip/
847-971-7098   | Python: Programming the way Guido indented...