[Python-Dev] Quick-and-dirty weak references

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 13:33:18 +0200

Vladimir Marangozov wrote:

> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> > I have checked the ref counts pretty thoroughly, but before
> > going public I would like the Python-Dev crowd to run some
> > tests as well: after all, the point is for the weak references
> > to be weak and that's sometimes a bit hard to check.
>
> It's even harder to implement them without side effects. I used
> the same hack for the __heirs__ class attribute some time ago.
> But I knew that a parent class cannot be garbage collected before
> all of its descendants. That allowed me to keep weak refs in
> the parent class, and preserve the existing strong refs in the
> subclasses. On every dealloc of a subclass, the corresponding
> weak ref in the parent class' __heirs__ is removed.
>
> In your case, the lifetime of the objects cannot be predicted,
> so implementing weak refs by messing with refcounts or checking
> mem pointers is a dead end.

> I don't know whether this is the
> case with mxProxy as I just browsed the code quickly, but here's
> a scenario where your scheme (or implementation) is not working:

> <WeakProxy object at 20260138>
> <WeakProxy object at 20261328>
> []
> []
> <WeakProxy object at 20260138>
> <WeakProxy object at 20261328>
> Illegal instruction (core dumped)

Could you tell me where the core dump originates ? Also, it would
help to compile the package with the -DMAL_DEBUG switch turned
on (edit Setup) and then run the same things using 'python -d'.
The package will then print a pretty complete list of things it
is doing to mxProxy.log, which would help track down errors like
these.

BTW, I get:
>>> print p

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
mxProxy.LostReferenceError: object already garbage collected

[Don't know why the print statement prints an empty line, though.]

Thanks for trying it,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                   135 days left