[Python-Dev] about line numbers

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 00:35:10 +0100 (NFT)

Tim Peters wrote:

> Would be more valuable to rethink the debugger's breakpoint approach so that
> SET_LINENO is never needed (line-triggered callbacks are expensive because
> called so frequently, turning each dynamic SET_LINENO into a full-blown
> Python call; if I used the debugger often enough to care <wink>, I'd think
> about munging in a new opcode to make breakpoint sites explicit).
>
> immutability-is-made-to-be-violated-ly y'rs  - tim

Could you elaborate a bit more on this? Do you mean setting breakpoints
on a per opcode basis (for example by exchanging the original opcode
with a new BREAKPOINT opcode in the code object) and use the lineno tab
for breakpoints based on the source listing?

--
       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr