[Python-Dev] about line numbers

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:47:05 +0100 (NFT)

Tim Peters wrote:

> [Vladimir Marangozov, *almost* seems ready to give up on a counter-
>  productive dict pessimization <wink>]

Of course I will! Now everything is perfectly clear. Thanks.

> So, that's why <wink>.

Now, *this* one explanation of yours should go into a HowTo/BecauseOf
for developers. I timed your scripts and a couple of mine which attest
(again) the validity of the current implementation. My patch is out of
bounds. It even disturbs from time to time the existing harmony in the
results ;-) because of early resizing.

All in all, for performance reasons, dicts remain an exception to the
rule of releasing memory ASAP. They have been designed to tolerate caching
because of their dynamics, which is the main reason for the rare case
addressed by my patch.

--
       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr